Friday 23 August 2013

A Punnet of Cherries

We are at the end of the cherry season here in the UK, which I didn't know until I "Googled" cherries; (I do that a lot, "Google", that is.)  I also didn't know that they are a "fleshy drupe", a description which doesn't conjure up anything delightful, in my mind.  

What I do know is that my Dad loved them.  An enduring summertime memory from my childhood, is of my Dad handing out cherries from a brown paper bag, as we walked along on family days out.  

Today, while I was out picking up some groceries for the long weekend I bought some cherries.


We could have scoffed them between us, Muse and I.  Instead I made muffins - cherry and white chocolate muffins.  Let me tell you, they are good.  Really they are, make them!

Here is how they turned out.

                           

I ate this one.  


Want to try them out for yourself?  Good, here is the recipe and the method.

Ingredients 

250g self raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
140g cherries (you could use dried)
100g bar of white chocolate cut into chunks
100g castor sugar
2 eggs, beaten
150ml greek yogurt
100g butter, melted
pinch of salt

Here's what you do with them thar ingredients:

1. heat oven to 180 (this is for a fan oven), you'll need to crank it up a little for a regular oven
2. pop your paper cases into your muffin tin
3. sift the flour, bicarb and salt into a bowl
4. stir in the cherries, chocolate and sugar
5. add the beaten eggs, melted butter and yogurt and stir so all the ingredients are combined, but don't go nuts, over-stirring will cause the muffins to turn our tough (urgh)
6. spoon the mixture into the paper cases and pop into the over for about 20 mins

Easy!






No comments: