Tuesday 9 April 2013

Adventures in Sourdough - Day 1

Inspired by last night's episode of Paul Hollywood's Bread, I decided to take on the challenge of baking sourdough bread.  It's not a quick process, the first step is to make your sourdough starter culture which will take at least 5 days to cultivate and be ready for use in your first loaf!

There are many, many, many recipes for sourdough starters.  Had I saw Paul Hollywood's recipe first I would probably have used that, but I didn't; so I used this one instead.

So, the main protagonists in day 1 are:  5 tablespoons of live full fat plain yoghurt and 6fl oz skimmed milk.  Gently warm the milk and mix into the yoghurt, pop into a airtight container, I used a kilner jar, place in a warm place for 12 - 24 hours to thicken.  Here is how it looks now.

Sourdough Starter Day1

Stayed tuned!

2 comments:

Mrs. Dad said...

You will love it when it works.

muse kidd said...

Awesome!... looks like milk in a jar. You are so talented!